Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2014 ink of the year

I know this post is a month late and a few bucks short but better late than never. In my defense, I'm back from a long vacation and it's hard to get the old routine back on track.

Without further ado, I present you my top 3 favorite inks tested in 2014, along with 3 runners-up.

#1 Monteverde Brown

Monteverde Brown is absolutely the ink I enjoyed most in 2014. I just love brown inks and this is the definitive brown.

Monteverde Brown open bottle

#2 Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses

Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses is a close second. I love its burgundy/brown color and beautiful shading.

Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses sheen

#3 Diamine Green Black

Diamine Green Black is the ink which resembles the color "British racing green" the most. If I were to pick a green ink out of all the ones I've tested (not just in 2014), this would be it.

Diamine Green Black bottle

Runner Up #1 - Diamine Graphite

Normally I'm not a fan of gray inks because they're too boring, but Diamine Graphite changed my mind. It proves that a gray ink can be engineered well enough to make it useful in a professional setting and look good at the same time.

Diamine Graphite and Kaweco Sport

Runner Up #2 - Diamine Syrah

Diamine Syrah is an ink I love to hate. The color and shading are gorgeous and hard to beat. However, it likes to stain plastic and smears on glossy paper.

Diamine Syrah shading

Runner Up #3 - Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun is a wonderful shade of bright, saturated olive green with beautiful shading. R&K inks are a bit quirky though and flawed in other aspects, such as feathering and sometimes flow.

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun with Kaweco Sport

2 comments:

  1. An interesting assortment of colors there. Diamine Syrah is color I really like, even with its drawbacks. Rohrer & Klingner inks just don't work for me; as you said, quirky. Based on your photograph here, the Alt-Goldgrun reminds me quite a bit of J. Herbin Vert Olive, which I enjoy using. The Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses is a beautiful color, I must agree.


    Thanks for your thoughts on these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly right about Alt-Goldgrun! Also reminds me of Vert Olive and I should know, I have a bottle. Though the latter is less saturated...

    ReplyDelete