Monday, February 6, 2012

Cheap nib flossing tool

What's a nib flossing tool? It's something thin enough that it can slip between the tines of a nib. And why would you want to do that? For two main reasons: to clean paper fibers stuck between the tines (which can affect the quality of writing) and to widen the distance between the tines (to increase ink flow).

I know that most of us who are not nib meisters are reluctant to fiddle with our nibs. Still, sometimes it's worth attempting a quick fix and very often a little flossing can cure a stubborn nib.

In the past I have suggested using a piece of 35mm film, which is usually thin enough that it fits in the tight space between a nib's tines. But who has 35mm film these days? Recently I have discovered a very simple tool that anyone can procure and it won't cost you a cent.

The thing I'm talking about is one of those electronic tags that are very often attached to merchandise such as clothes and electronics, to prevent them from being stolen. Here's how it looks.


If you peel the back, you will see the innards.


Peeling the transparent layer will yield you 2 metal shims that are on the thin side but will do a great job flossing any nib, no matter how tight the tines are.


Here it is in action, with the nib from my Noodler's Ahab.


So next time you buy something that has a tag attached, don't throw it away. Instead, salvage these shims because they might come in handy later.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting.  How does this compare in thickness to the brass shims I'm always reading about?
     

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Thank you! I've been trying to make do with various thin types of plastic, but they aren't strong enough to slip between the tightest tines (which are, of course, the ones that need flossing the most.) This is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I need to do this to my Ahab but I had no idea what to use. Now I just have to buy something to get my hands on one of these! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends which brass shims you're referring to. I'm afraid I don't have experience with other types of shims, except for the ones that come with the Pilot Parallel, which are plastic and feel thinner than 35mm film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I could help! I'm thinking that you could even slip 2 of these at the same time, they are certainly slim enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might want to check some old electronics boxes (if you have them around). Chances are you will find one of these tags stuck to the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, I normally pull those apart anyway cause I like to see what is inside things. Guess I have never grown up, heck I take my cars apart just to see how they work sometimes! But I never thought of this use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I'm the same way. First time I saw them, I had to take them apart to see what makes them "tick". I keep a lot of odds and ends and small parts from disassembled devices in a tin box. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting. I really don't remember seeing the thing. Could well be me, I'll look for the little blighters now as I do want to try that.

    ReplyDelete